Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hereditary Eye Color?

I was wondering what would cause my eyes to change colors. When I was a baby I had dark blue eyes with a ring of light blue in the center and now they are a light grayish blue with a ring of yellow. My mom has hazel eyes with a ring of orange around her eyes, and I'm told my grandmother had the two colors also. So is it hereditary? Is it normal? Anyone else have that?Hereditary Eye Color?
It's hereditary, but the answers are a lot more complicated now than it used to be thanks to advances in understanding genetics. It used to be thought that there were two genes, a recessive (blue) and a dominant (brown) one, that determined the colors of your eyes.





Now they're discovering that eye color has a lot more factors in it, partially from environment (similar to skin color, that's why people near the equator have darker skin/eyes than people who live farther away and don't have as much exposure to sunlight), and partly from diet (although you don't want to mess with this, because a poor diet results in sickly eyes, not to mention damage to your body).





But genetics plays a huge part, and ultimately it comes down to what your parents had.Hereditary Eye Color?
It is hereditary, it is normal and I have it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin industries